Evolving…

So much done, but yet so much to do… The biggest single task in my sewing room has been completed; the wallpaper is up – unless I’m forced to count the liner that goes on the back wall. Today, I’m not counting that. ;o) DD#1 has come and gone, remarking, oddly enough, that she was sorry she didn’t give me a birthday present. I told her that I thought she’d given me one that was quite extravagant, considering the amount of effort she poured into helping me with the walls in that room over the past week. I also informed her that if she were still a homeschooler, she’d definitely have passed this course with flying colors – that she’s unquestionably ready and able to tackle papering on her own or as the lead in a project. Yes, I’m VERY proud of her. :o)

Quick summary of the second half of the papering…

This is the back corner of the room where the papered wall will eventually meet the painted wall. As you can see, they both are starting out with a not so stylish, plastic-coated, wood type product, which I understand was quite the rage in the 1970’s. Irritatingly enough, I totally forgot to take a good before picture, and only have one from after I moved the possum belly. At that point, it looked even worse than reality, as the possum belly has a very large, flat top and was just barely accessible when the rest of the back corner wasn’t. Needless to say, it turned into a nightmare of a clutter catcher, and we will be spending some extended quality time together sooner than later. I’m not in the mood to share that photo at present for some odd reason…

First job – after moving the mounds of stuff from this half of the room back to the half that we worked in last week – was to scuff sand the walls. I only did part of the future painted wall, but thought that it would be positively lovely to have a head start when it’s time to finish it. I debating as to whether I should discuss just how much pleasure I took in destroying the paneling…

Next we did what turned out to be the most miserable part of the job. The walls needed washed down. Between the filth of the last 30-35 years and the sanding dust, it turned out to be a lot more than just the quick wipe-over that we’d anticipated. Neither of us was in a particularly cheerful mood after about the first 15 minutes or so… I never thought it could feel so good to slap primer on a wall! You can see in the photo that for some reason, certain panels seemed to bleed right through the primer. I decided it was safer to go back and add a second coat of primer, even though it promised to be stain blocking. Somewhere in the midst of all this, DH caulked all the joints between panels and the ceiling.

Finally, after hours of prep work over what turned into several days (We had two segments to do separately due to needing to move furniture, plus a day long trip to visit a great museum.), we got to the fun part. I’m saying that a bit sarcastically, I fear, as the one day that we had available to hang the paper turned out to be an extremely bad day for me to be doing same. I was exceedingly jumpy inside all day Tuesday and had a miserable time trying to do this sort of a task. Had we had another day available, I’d have called a halt to the proceedings after the first piece of paper hit the wall; it was that bad. Days like that give birth to what I call the “King Mudas Touch.” Everything I touched turned to mud. Amazingly enough, I didn’t fall off the ladder or dump the bucket of water, but past that, I think about everything that could have gone wrong did, and I was extremely grateful to have such a good apprentice. She painstakingly fixed my problem spots when I knew I’d best just step away from them, then worked most all of the last piece into place, complete with the extra long, all the way down the corner of the wall cut.

And despite every attempt it made to be otherwise, not only is all the paper still on the wall 24 hours later, it actually looks very good! Again, it’s only an interim stage, but I’m so excited to see so much less paneling in here! I also want to add that I’m really glad I chose not to put liner up on the paneled wall behind the paper. I might have made a different choice had I been using a different paper (such as a small, all-over print), but since this is a good quality paper, has some embossed texture, and is striped, the light indentation over some of the grooves just really isn’t noticeable. The person who might actually see them is going to have a lot of other things that are much more obvious to criticize, I’m sure!

Advertisements
Published in: on July 10, 2008 at 9:11 am  Comments (3)  
Tags: , , , , , , ,

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: https://facefromthepast.wordpress.com/2008/07/10/evolving/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

3 CommentsLeave a comment

  1. I think it came out wonderful. I helped my mother do this same thing when I was 17. We did fill all the grooves, then sanded, and then papered. Good Job

  2. Wow, that was quite a project. Looks good, though!

  3. Thank you both for the compliments. :o) I’m still at the “walk in the room and just stare” stage with it. Debbie, after doing just the window frame with the fill and sand business, I have a tremendous amount of respect for you and your mother. What a huge project it must have been to do an entire room!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: