Day 11 Ravelympics Update

If I had a ringer, the project I did today might be the guilty party. After putting in so much time yesterday and not having anything set for today, I finally decided that the appropriate action was to pull out my easiest project, and I was able to finish it by sewing in about a dozen ends and seaming the sides in less than an hour, running just ahead of the waning day for pix. I was truly glad I’d taken the time yesterday to go through and steam block seven of my remaining projects. I’d never have caught the last daylight if I’d had to press this first.

This is Malloree Nanette modeling Succès, an interpretation of a dress designed for Bleuette and sold by Gautier-Languereau in 1937, designed by Inma Iglesias. Malloree was more than happy to slip out of her two piece ensemble with a wool jacket and into this comfortable summer frock knit from Berocco Glacè rayon ribbon yarn.

I think the waning light was wrecking havoc on the colors, and no matter how much I tweaked, I couldn’t seem to get a truly accurate depiction of the light olive color of the yarn. It’s truly a pretty shade of green, and sets off the green of Malloree’s eyes beautifully. The bit of green showing in this portrait is probably the closest to the true color.

Project notes: Most of the info is already given above. I used size 3 needles. I like working with this yarn, but it’s really a bit heavy for this pattern, producing a thick and elegantly weighted fabric, which is a bit too much on a doll of this size. However, Malloree seems to be able to carry it off better than Mariette, who has this dress in the same yarn in mauve. Malloree is on a Global papier mache body, and that does cause some problems. The measurements are the same or similar to the Global wooden/JN Bleuette bodies, but the mass is distributed much differently. The body is very narrow and deep, and by far the majority of the mass is distributed to the front. If you compare the fit of Malloree’s dress with that of Mariko’s, you can see the difference. We could skate by with this pattern, but in general, if you find yourself sewing or knitting for a papier mache body, I strongly advise doing a mock-up rather than expecting patterns to just fit based on girth measurements.

In other knitting, I got the increase stitches worked into the wing section on my Coriolis Sock, so next step is starting the actual heel. It’s not much progress, but it is the last of the staging and verified my confidence in believing I know where I am. I also finished another Bleuette outfit – one which required most all of two evenings of work. Pix tomorrow, awaiting the light of day.

Advertisements
Published in: on August 19, 2008 at 9:57 am  Leave a Comment  
Tags: , , , , , , ,

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: https://facefromthepast.wordpress.com/2008/08/19/day-11-ravelympics-update/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: