Airy Autumnal Alpaca Accomplishment

Go ahead and laugh… I finished this project several days ago, but I’d not blogged it yet because I couldn’t think of a title I liked for my post. 😉 One thing I can say for being laid up… I AM getting some things done, and they are things I wouldn’t be completing if I were on my feet instead of my seat. I had a friend say that this has been good for my goals list, and in some ways it has, but on the other hand, I’d just be working on different goals if I were not having to keep my leg up so much. At least I’m getting things done.

So anyway, what project is it that I’ve completed? Three years ago when I first started knitting lace, the second project I started was (as is my normal) a good bit beyond entry level. Instead of following a pattern, I chose to use design elements and go way off on a tangent, not to mention, I chose yarn that was a bit difficult to knit. To put it mildly, I ended up terribly frustrated with the project, and it felt impossible to knit. With all the other things I was doing at the time, predictably enough, it got put on the back burner. One of my goals this year is to finish 3 ancient UFO’s from my knit/crochet heap, and last week, I got a sudden yearning to make this the second of those three. As it fairly flew off my needles in a matter of days, I had to think back and laugh at how sure I was that this had to be one of the toughest things I’d ever tried to do!

The yarn is Suri Dream from Knit Picks. The throw is 48″ x 60″ and weighs less than 350 grams, and it’s like snuggling under a cloud! Still, it’s beautifully warm, and I love tossing it over myself. Someone told me it was a nice little heirloom project, but I love using it so much that I’m not sure it will outlive me. 😉 The two patterns I put together in order to make this afghan are from Victorian Lace Today by Jane Sowerby. For the main panel, I used Mrs. Lambert’s Shetland Lace pattern on page 50, worked over 100 stitches on size 10 needles, 20 repeats. Then I finished it with the edging supplied for the capelet, working three repeats of the pattern into the several spare stitches on the ends.

A very light steaming of the corners is the only blocking I did, as I liked the texture just as it finished – soft and squishy, airy and warm. This worked up extremely quickly, and I’d definitely do it again, even though I’m not a big fan of working with yarn that has this much halo. The end result is so delicious that it’s worth the effort. 🙂

Advertisements

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: https://facefromthepast.wordpress.com/2010/09/02/airy-autumnal-alpaca-accomplishment/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: