I had to start this post with that tremendous amount of enthusiasm, because I’m about to confess to being exceedingly naughty. 😉

Remember about two years ago when I had took my first adventurous steps into dyeing, and on a lark I grabbed two balls of ultra ugly Rowan Kidsilk Haze to toss into the leftover Kool-Aid? Ever since then, I’ve been on the hunt for some way to use the resulting cotton candy confection I produced in the process.

With only 454 yards of fairly gaudy, laceweight yarn, I was definitely limited as to what I could knit with it. I exchanged the seriously-ugly-yarn problem for the what-am-I- going-to-do-it-this-stuff problem. It wanted to be lace, but the print would overwhelm most patterns. Many hours spent on Ravelry looking for Pattern Right, but I came up empty every time.

Then the other night, when I was looking for something totally different, I found “It” – the pattern so perfect that I pinched myself to see if I was awake or having one of those dreams like where I wake up right before I pay for the utterly amazing antiques I found for next to nothing at a yard sale. (I’m still convinced that if I ever pay for them, I’ll get to keep them in real life.) I found the Horai Scarf by Hiroko Fukatsu. It was perfect – except that it called for 4 balls of yarn, and I had only 2. I tried to walk away from the pattern, but I just couldn’t keep my mind off it. Then I realized that it uses the yarn doubled, and the wheels started turning in my mind… Soon I discovered ilovemath‘s massive stash reduction, including 3 balls of Pearl Kidsilk Haze. She got my yarn to me at supersonic speed. Problem solved in spades!:)

End result? I’m double stranding my somewhat bold, handpainted yarn with a strand of the pearl, which is softening the overall effect and producing an ethereal cloud of starry down. I’m in love!

The pattern is extremely easy to memorize, and nearly as easy to work, though there’s a slight challenge in working the two K3togs into the same stitch at times, and a bit slower than working the more traditional stitch patterns. It’s well worth the added effort, though, and since the rows each add about a half inch, it’s growing quickly. It’s a battle for me to keep my hands off this project when I’m supposed to be doing other things, and I was so eager to work it last night that I totally forgot I’d not finished my Burridge Lake quota for this past weekend. Oops! I need to figure out how to squeeze in a few extra long knitting sessions soon… 😉

What would I change about the pattern? Not sure why, but my scarf is coming out dramatically wider than that of the designer, so it’s going to undoubtedly be length challenged. I’d frog any other yarn and start over with a smaller cast on number, but mohair would be enough of a nightmare to do that with that I’d probably loose half the yarn I’ve already knit into it, and I’d still end up with a shorter scarf than I’d like. I’ll find some way to make this work, but if you make this pattern, I’d recommend having at least one more ball available or casting on fewer stitches.

The other change I’d make is to not have all this other stuff I’m SUPPOSED to be doing making me feel guilty for finally knitting up some of my hand-dyed yarn. 😉


The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

One CommentLeave a comment

  1. I just started this same pattern yesterday. I love how it has depth to the stitches – and I am using a single strand of a heavier mohair I was gifted. So much fun.

    I am thinking about using 2 different size needles. The larger one for the plain knit rows and a size down for the cluster rows.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: